Recipe by Chef Shadows
From the 1961 edition of Pennsylvania Dutch Cookbook, Fine Old Recipes , page 22
- 5 lbs rump roast
- 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Have roast tied so it hold shape.
- Melt drippings in heavy iron dutch oven or deep skillet.
- Season the meat with the ginger, salt and pepper, and sear well on all sides.
- Add the bay leaves, cloves, onion, and water.
- Cover tightly and simmer about 4 1/2 hours or until tender.