Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This cake, from a friend, has a choice of fillings. The lemon cheese is the original filling, both are lovely.
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 60 g butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 60 ml hot water (2oz)
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
Lemon Cheese Filling
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons custard powder
- 1 (400 g) can fruit, drained keep syrup aside
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons custard powder
- Sift dry ingredients, rub in butter, add eggs to form a moist dough.
- Place 1/2 mixture into a greased 7” round sandwich tin, spreading about 1/2 way up sides of tin.
- Pour hot filling over mixture in tin.
- Place remaining mixture over the filling in heaps, then sprinkle with walnuts and bake 35 mins at 190 deg C - 200 deg C (375 deg F–400 deg F) less if fan forced.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
- Boil water and sugar, add rind and boil 2 mins, then remove from stove and add custard powder, mixed with lemon juice - reheat until thickened.
- Alternate filling:.
- Add custard powder to syrup or juice from can and heat until thickened, mix in fruit.