Recipe by CJAY
Posted for ZWT7-Africa.Sukuma wiki, Swahili for "stretch-the-week," is a ubiquitous Kenyan dish. Nutritious and tasty, it is a way of "stretching" out kitchen resources. found on the internet.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 onions, chopped or 1 minced onion
- 2 lbs kale or 2 lbs collard greens, destemmed and finely chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup water or 1 cup stock
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil over med-high flame in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the greens in batches, sauteing each addition until wilted.
- Add the tomatoes, water or stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer gently until tender, from 20 to 30 minutes or done to your liking.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with a little bit of the broth.
- You can add a chopped chili pepper or two with the onions. If you like, add some leftover meat for more flavor.