Recipe by PhoodPhight
Basically, these bake into chewy, gooey bars. Not really a pie or a cake but the taste is remarkably similar to Derby Pie. I loved them because they are simple and serve a lot of people. They will definitely be part of my derby celebration.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) box butter recipe cake mix, 2-layer size
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups light corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix cake mix, 1 egg, and melted butter until well blended.
- Reserve 2/3 cup of this batter.
- Spread the rest of the batter into a greased and floured 9 x 13-inch pan and bake at 325 degrees F. for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Mix reserved 2/3 cup batter with syrup, 3 eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, pecans and chocolate chips. Pour this filling on top of crust and cook about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into bars or squares.