Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I don't remember where I got this, as it has been in my recipe box since the mid 80s, but I think it was originally from Crisco.
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 ounces baking chocolate, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sour milk (I do this by adding vinegar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- shortening (for frying)
- powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cream shortening, sugar and eggs.
- Add chocolate and then sour milk and baking soda, beaten together, then vanilla.
- Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, sifted together.
- Take small amounts of dough and roll about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut with doughnut cutter and fry in hot deep shortening until brown and well done.
- When cool, roll in powdered sugar.