Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This salad is served at many Kentucky Derby parties. It makes a great summertime salad and the bite from the vinaigrette is just perfect.
- 2 heads bibb lettuce
- 1⁄4 lb maytag blue cheese
- 1⁄8 cup strawberry, sliced
Candied Pecans (use 1/2 cup)
- 1 -2 cup pecan halves
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon warm water
Apple Cider Vinaigrette (use 1/8 cup)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dry basil leaves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup olive oil
Cinnamon Raisin Croutons (use 1 cup)
- 1 loaf cinnamon raisin bread
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Basic Recipe: Remove roots from Bibb lettuce and cut into quarters. Toss with apple cider vinaigrette, bleu cheese, candied pecans and strawberries. Place on serving platter and garnish with cinnamon raisin croutons.
- To Make Candied Pecans: Mix powdered sugar and water. Dust pecans with powdered sugar mixture on parchment paper and bake at 275 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- To Make Apple Cider Vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl, except the olive oil. Add the olive oil gradually and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- To Make Cinnamon Raisin Croutons: Cut bread into ½ inch cubes. Melt butter and toss bread cubes with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
I liked this and I am not a huge fan of blue cheese. It was very nice in this. If I do this again, I want to find some other way to make sugar or candy pecans. My sprinkles just kind of sat on the pecans and didn't melt or anything. I didn't really care for the croutons myself but others did.