3 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This was created 31 Oct 2005 in preparation for my 12 yr old and her friends spending a great spooky evening at my house. Something warm and filling, and somewhat good for them before treat bags were opened. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 sirloin steaks, cut into 3/4 inch cubes (three packages of stewing beef can be substituted)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes with basil and garlic
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 12 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb baby carrots, chunked
- 3 stalks celery, chunked
- 4 garlic cloves, medium chopped
- 1 large Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chunked
- 1 large orange bell pepper, seeded and chunked
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1/4 cup oregano flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 -6 cups water
- 1Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil with a generous dash of sea salt until golden; remove from dish.
- 2In same pan, sear meat with small dash of sea salt and a pinch of pepper and a generous dash each of LHS and Worcestershire Sauce.
- 3In a very large stock pot, combine all ingredients and fill with water to 1 1/2 to 2 inches from top rim. Cover with lid.
- 4Cook over medium high heat, to boiling point. Reduce heat to low and simmer until carrots and potatoes are cooked thoroughly, stirring often, about two (2) hours. Skim as you see fit.
- 5Serve with rolls, crackers and butter.
- 6Since this is a Halloween dish, I serve this out of a cauldron with 'spooky' breads and butter.
- 7To make a hearty Fall Vegetable Stew, add three (3) cups of shredded cabbage to the dish.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kelly's Witches Stew
Serving Size: 1 (514 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.4
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 60.8 mg
- Sodium 1110.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 25.4 g