Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
It is an attractive Istanbul specialty, served with ice cream in the summer.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornflour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- cinnamon (optional)
- Grease bottom of a baking pan of 25 x 30x 3 (9x13 x 1 1/2 inch).
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Put baking pan in hot oven, until sugar turns a light caramel colour, take out of oven set aside.
- Combine flour, cornflour and milk in a saucepan.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly in rotary fashion with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in sugar blending well.
- Simmer for 1 minute over low heat stirring gently and constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla; stir well.
- Spread into baking pan.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Place in a cold water bath.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Remove from water bath; chill.
- Dust with cinnamon when ready (optional).