Recipe by GiddyUpGo
This recipe was featured on week 40 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Bulgaria is my 40th stop. Unless otherwise noted, my Travel by Stove recipes are taken from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients.
- 1 lb kashkaval cheese (provolone or haloumi could also be used)
- all-purpose flour
- 2 -3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 -3 cups fresh breadcrumbs, panko crumbs or 2 -3 cups matzo meal
Directions See How It's Made
- Place some oil (about two inches worth should be fine) in a pan over high heat until bubbles rise around the non-stirring end of a wooden spoon.
- Meanwhile, slice the cheese up into half-inch thick pieces. Coat all sides of each slice with flour, then dip in egg, then in breadcrumbs.
- Submerge each slice in hot oil and fry until golden brown. Serve immediately.