Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
You can also use your favorite recipe for spaetzle
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- nutmeg (optional)
- 1 onion, sliced very thin
- 1⁄2 lb gruyere or 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese
- Prepare spaetzel: Combine the dry ingredients (add a bit of nutmeg to taste if doing it for German Cooking, omit if for Hungarian)
- Add the milk and egg and mix together into a batter of sorts.
- Meanwhile, have a wide pan of water with salt boiling.
- Take the batter and put it into a spaetzle maker, or I used a French fry basket, and rubbed it with the bottom of a spatula to break it up.
- When the Spaetzle float, remove with a slotted spoon and put them into a colander.
- Fry onion in a little oil until very brown and crispy.Set aside.
- In heavy (preferably non-stick) skillet, heat spaetzle in a little butter.
- Grate cheese and toss into spaetzle.
- When cheese melts, transfer to large bowl and sprinkle with onion.
- Serve hot.