Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
Karin is the food writer for the Augusta Chronicle and she shares quick and easy recipes like this quite unusual take on meatballs. Here frozen meatballs are combined with traditional ingredients to make a a cheese-steak sandwich. Using frozen fully cooked meatballs cuts the work involved, and using light Cheez Whiz cuts the fat. You can save even more time by using 2 cups of frozen pepper stir-fry blend in place of the fresh bell pepper and onion.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 (18 ounce) packagefrozen fully-cooked meatballs (about 35 balls)
- 6 hoagie rolls, split and warmed
- 3⁄4 cup pasteurized low-fat process cheese sauce, heated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add bell pepper and onion. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Add meatballs. Cover and cook 13 to 14 minutes, or until meatballs are heated through and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon meatball mixture into rolls and drizzle with heated cheese sauce. Young picky eaters may like only the meatballs and cheese sauce. In that case serve them just that, and leave the vegetables for the adults.