Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is our family recipe. I usually enjoy to use smoked polish sausage with this. I really like how it tastes when it soaks in the sauerkraut all day. I serve it with fresh kielbasa for the traditionalists too.
- 2 lbs Polish sausage, Sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 quarts sauerkraut
- 1⁄4 head fresh cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can water, to your liking
- 1 large onion
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 dash salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown onion in hot skillet (about 10 minutes)-Optional.
- Combine all the ingredients, except the brown sugar, in a 5 quart Dutch oven or slow cooker.
- Mix lightly; simmer all day.
- The last half hour of cooking, add the brown sugar.
- The longer the better.
I halved this recipe because there's only 2 of us. I used smoked sausage and the crockpot. This smelled so good I could barely wait for it to get done. We really enjoyed this meal and will definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2012.