Recipe by SCMarilyn
Found this in an article in Good Housekeeping on the Eat-and-Lose-Weight Plan (week 4). This is a version that has more fiber than the original.
Top Review by LifeIsGood
These muffins are delicious and healthy! The pumpkin flavor is wonderful and we loved the pecans on top. Next time I might add a little more brown sugar to make them a touch sweeter, personal preference. Thank you for a healthy and yummy muffin recipe! Made for Pick A Chef Fall 2011 (in the contest and events forum).
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup white flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup solid pack pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons margarine (melted) or 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup pecans (toasted and chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease 16 regular size muffin cups.
- In large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, pumpkin-pie spice and salt. In medium bowl, with whisk, mix milk, pumpkin, brown sugar, melted margarine/butter, vanilla and eggs until blended; stir into flour mixture until just moistened.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with chopped pecans. Bake 20 - 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately remove from pan. If keeping for later, cool and then wrap each muffin separately in plastic wrap and freeze or refrigerate. Warm in microwave for 15 seconds on high.