Kangaroo House Bed and Breakfast on Orcas Island, Washington (www.KangarooHouse.com) offers this as one of their specialty recipes. It is very filling and hearty, and I love the chewy texture of the grains. I can't reliably find wheat berries where I live so am not always able to prepare it exactly as written (I just increase the barley and rice to make up the difference, or add in some kasha or similar grain as a substitute.) I usually add a Tbsp or two of wheat germ, too. This is also good with dried cranberries/apricots/etc substituted for some of the raisins or with fruit (dried like dates or fresh like blueberries, yum!) served over the top at the end. This does not have anything sweet in the ingredients except the raisins; you may wish to top with honey, brown sugar, etc, although I also really like it just with butter and salt. I like cream on mine if I'm not going totally vegan, my kids like maple syrup. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring water to a boil and add flax, brown rice, wheat berries and barley.
- 2Cover and simmer on low for 25 minutes.
- 3Add the raisins and golden raisins and continue to simmer, covered, for 15 minutes more or until water is absorbed and grains are desired consistency.
- 4Serve with your choice of toppings: butter, cream/soy milk/rice milk, honey, brown sugar, dried or fresh fruit, etc.
- 5This can be cooked ahead; just store in covered microwave-safe dishes and refrigerate until needed, warm to desired temperature.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kangaroo House B and B's Whole Grain Hot Cereal
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.2
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 26.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 43.5 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: