Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs kale, fresh
- 1⁄2 lb garlic sausage, cooked and sliced (the smoked kind)
- Peel and chop potatoes.
- Combine with vegetable oil and water.
- Cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove potatoes and reserve liquid.
- Mash potatoes through a sieve and return to potato liquid.
- Add salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Wash kale discarding all tough leaves and cut into shreds.
- Add to potatoes and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add sausage.
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Very good, very easy. Freezes well also. This is a good healthy delicious soup!
My first attempt at using kale. My husband, an avowed greens hater, said it is rather odd- tasting, but he actually liked it. I, too, like it and will add it to my standards. The changes I made: no oil, and while pressure-cooking the potatoes I added a bit of hot dried pepper and beef "Better-than-Boullion". Great recipe for the pressure-cooker.