Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Veal and egg rolls from the Obertoggenburg Valley in Switzerland. These are intended to be a 1st course.
- 6 thin veal escalopes, pounded
- 6 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and left whole
- lard or oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- warm water or stock
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- Wrap each egg in a slice of veal, season and tie firmly with kitchen or butcher's string.
- Melt the fat in a pan and brown the veal rolls on all sides.
- Add the onion and brown slightly.
- Add sufficient water or stock to cover the rolls.
- Add the carrot and bay leaf and simmer gently for 35-40 minutes until the veal is cooked.
- Transfer the rolls to a hot serving dish and remove the string.
- Strain the sauce into a pan and blend a little flour with some of the liquid.
- Return the flour mixture to the sauce, bring to the boil and pour over the veal rolls.
- Serve with noodles.