Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 25 mins
A beautiful coffee cake. For a twist, add 1 cup chopped dried fruit before rolling. From the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Heat milk to scalding and pour over butter sugar and salt; let cool to lukewarm.
- Add yeast and let dissolve.
- Add eggs.
- Beat in flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Form into a bowl and place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- When risen, punch down and divide in two.
- Roll into rectangular sheets about 1/4 inch thick.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll in jelly roll fashion and form into rings.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and cut with scissors at one inch intervals almost through the ring and turn the slices slightly.
- Cover and let rise until double.
- While dough is rising, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden.
- Mix the confectioners sugar and milk together until a smooth glaze is formed.
- While warm, frost with glaze and sprinkle with nuts.