Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a red lentil stew.
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, and 2 teaspoons chow seasoning paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In pan, cook the lentils in 3 1/2c of the water over low heat for about 1/2 hour, or until the lentil are soft and the water has almost completely evaporated.
- Set aside. In a dry pan, stir fry the onions for 2 mins, add the oil and stir fry 2 mins more.
- Add the remaining 1/2c water, the tomato paste, chow, and salt and continue to stir.
- Add the red lentils and mix well over moderate heat for 3 mins until everything is reduced to a thick, well seasoned puree.
- Serve warm with Injeera.