1/2 Photos of Kabocha Curry
1 hr 30 mins
A mild and slightly sweet curry using kabocha squash and butternut squash. Can be made with chicken or left completely vegetarian. Additional vegetables, such as sliced bell peppers and spinach are delicious additions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes or 4 cherry tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups pureed kabocha squash
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 pinch chili powder (or more, if you prefer spicier curries)
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, cut into bite-sized chunks and roasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1To make kabocha puree: Preheat oven to 375. Halve a kabocha squash and place both sides cut side down in a baking dish. Fill the baking dish with water. Bake for 40 minutes or until the flesh can be easily pierced with a knife. The baking time may need to be adjusted depending on the size of your kabocha. Remove the kabocha from the oven and let cool. Remove and dispose of seeds using a spoon. Scoop out the flesh using a spoon. Use an immersion blender or food processor to puree the flesh, adding water until you have a smooth puree.
- 2To roast butternut squash: Preheat oven to 450. Remove skin and cut the butternut squash into bite-sized pieces. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes or until the squash is soft and has just started to caramelize.
- 3Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil at a high heat in a heavy bottomed pan. Add chicken and cook until sealed. Take chicken out of the pan and set aside.
- 4Reduce heat to medium, add onions and ginger and stir until onion has become translucent. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds more.
- 5Add chopped tomatoes and kabocha puree to the pan, bring to boil and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- 6Add stock, coconut milk, curry and chili powder. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Add chicken and roasted butternut squash and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 8Add cilantro and additional salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Serve with naan and/or rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kabocha Curry
Serving Size: 1 (480 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.5
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 18.8 mg
- Sodium 103.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 47.3 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: