1/1 Photo of Julia's Potato Salad
This is a recipe by Julia Child. I'm always asked to bring this potato salad to all summer get togethers. One friend says that she can't eat any other potato salad, because she just keeps thinking about mine. I use 3/4 mayo and 1/4 sour cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs large yukon gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup potato water
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery or 1/2 cup peas, finely chopped
- 3 slices bacon, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish, finely chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives (including a bit of their tender green) or 3 tablespoons scallions, finely chopped (including a bit of their tender green)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground white pepper, to taste
- 1 cup mayonnaise, homemade if possible
- sour cream (optional)
- 1Peel the potatoes and slice each one lengthwise in half, or in quarters if very large; then cut crosswise into half-round or quarter-round slices, about 1/2 inch thick.
- 2Put the slices in a saucepan with water just to cover and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt per quart of water. Heat to a simmer, and cook the potatoes for 5 to 6 minutes, or until just cooked through. It is essential that they be just cooked through. Bite into a slice or two to be very sure. Immediately remove from the heat and drain the potatoes into a colander, but save a cup of the cooking liquid for dressing the potatoes. Transfer bowl. Stir the cider vinegar with 1/3 cup of the potato water or chicken stock and drizzle this over the potato pieces, turning them gently to distribute it evenly. Let sit 10 minutes to absorb the liquid.
- 3Add the prepared onion, celery, bacon, pickle, hard-boiled eggs, and chives, and season carefully, to taste. Top with 2/3 cup of mayonnaise (or a mix of mayonnaise and a bit of sour cream) and, with a large rubber spatula, gently fold everything together until well blended. Taste the salad and add more salt, pepper, or mayonnaise as needed.
- 4Cover the salad and set aside in the refrigerator for at least an hour or so before serving. If it is refrigerated longer, let it come back to room temperature before serving. Taste and adjust the seasoning again.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Julia's Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.3
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 88.5 mg
- Sodium 467.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: