Recipe by bernrome
I don't remember where I found this recipe, but it had been in my recipe box for quite awhile and I finally decided to try it. The original recipe makes 10 to 12 servings, so I kind of eyeballed the ingredients and measured to my liking for approximately 6 servings. I love mushrooms, so next time I make this I'll add another package. I added 2 tbsp of brown sugar because I like a slightly sweet tomato sauce. Feel free to omit it if you like your tomato sauce as is.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled & chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 13 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain.
- Cook and crumble ground beef in pot over moderate high heat until no longer pink. Drain most of the grease, leaving a couple of tablespoons behind in the pot. Add salt & onions and fry until limp, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and fry for about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce & brown sugar. Remove from heat and mix in 1 cup of cheese to beef. Add macaroni tossing gently but thoroughly.
- Transfer to 13X-9X-2X-inch baking dish. Scatter remaining 1 cup of cheese on top. Bake, uncovered, until brown and bubbling, about 20 minutes.