1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Abby C's Note:
John Travolta's favorite dish goes to prove that real men DO eat quiche!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup chilled butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 -6 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb cleaned jumbo lump crabmeat (fresh, not frozen)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chervil
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 1To make the dough, put chilled butter, shortening, flour, and salt in a mixer with a paddle attached.
- 2Mix on medium until blended, about 3-4 minutes.
- 3(It will look like cornmeal.) Then add the water.
- 4As soon as the dough comes together, turn the mixer off.
- 5This should only take about 10 seconds.
- 6(Do not over mix) Take dough out of machine and chill in refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- 7Prepare the custard by mixing all ingredients together.
- 8Roll out dough to about 1/4-inch thick.
- 9Line the bottom of a 9-inch pie dish.
- 10Sprinkle 1/2 of each cheese on the bottom.
- 11Add crab meat.
- 12Sprinkle herbs over crab meat.
- 13Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese.
- 14Pour custard over all the ingredients almost to the top of the pie dish.
- 15Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 325 degrees F.
- 16Let stand 30 minutes before serving.
- 17(Recipe courtesy The National Enquirer).
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for John Travolta's Crab Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 863.8
- Calories from Fat 565
- Total Fat 62.8 g
- Saturated Fat 35.2 g
- Cholesterol 363.2 mg
- Sodium 840.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 39.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: