Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
John Travolta's favorite dish goes to prove that real men DO eat quiche!
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 -6 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb cleaned jumbo lump crabmeat (fresh, not frozen)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chervil
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3 eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- salt and pepper
- To make the dough, put chilled butter, shortening, flour, and salt in a mixer with a paddle attached.
- Mix on medium until blended, about 3-4 minutes.
- (It will look like cornmeal.) Then add the water.
- As soon as the dough comes together, turn the mixer off.
- This should only take about 10 seconds.
- (Do not over mix) Take dough out of machine and chill in refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Prepare the custard by mixing all ingredients together.
- Roll out dough to about 1/4-inch thick.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch pie dish.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of each cheese on the bottom.
- Add crab meat.
- Sprinkle herbs over crab meat.
- Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese.
- Pour custard over all the ingredients almost to the top of the pie dish.
- Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 325 degrees F.
- Let stand 30 minutes before serving.
- (Recipe courtesy The National Enquirer).