Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a tasty treat. This is one of our favorite ways in frying shrimp. Don't forget the sauce.
- 1 lb medium raw shrimp (cleaned,shelled, and butterflied) or 1 lb large raw shrimp (cleaned,shelled, and butterflied)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 7 ounces of premium flaked coconut (small flake if possible)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- Mix eggs and water.
- Set aside.
- Place 1/3 cup of corn starch in bowl for dusting of shrimp.
- Mix in separate bowl 1/3 cup (the remainder) of corn starch, coconut, sugar, salt, and flour, blend well. Heat oil for deep frying. Roll shrimp in corn starch, then in egg wash, then finally roll in coconut mixture.
- Place shrimp in hot oil and deep fry until done.
- Shrimp will float to the top when cooked. Take care not to overcook shrimp. Serve with Joe's Crab Shack Pineapple dipping sauce.
- We have found the results to be slightly better when you process the coconut in a blender for a few seconds. It will grate up the coconut just a bit more.