Recipe by Manami
"Jewish Cooking in America" Joan Nathan prepares several types of haroset for Passover and this one is one of her favorites.
- 1 1⁄3 cups unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 3⁄4 cups dried apples, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dried prune, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried pears, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons kosher-for-passover cherry jam
- 1⁄4 cup sweet red kosher wine, such as Manischewitz
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine coconut, walnuts, raisins, apples, prunes, pears, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan.
- Add water to cover, about 6 cups.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until thick, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add small amounts of water as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add jam, remove from heat, and add wine.
- Stir to combine.
- May be made ahead of time.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.