Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
"Jewish Cooking in America" Joan Nathan prepares several types of haroset for Passover and this one is one of her favorites.
- 1 1⁄3 cups unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 3⁄4 cups dried apples, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dried prune, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried pears, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons kosher-for-passover cherry jam
- 1⁄4 cup sweet red kosher wine, such as Manischewitz
- Combine coconut, walnuts, raisins, apples, prunes, pears, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan.
- Add water to cover, about 6 cups.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until thick, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add small amounts of water as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add jam, remove from heat, and add wine.
- Stir to combine.
- May be made ahead of time.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.