Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from "The Raw and the Cooked: Adventures of a Roving Gourmand" by Jim Harrison. Cook time is a guess.
- 1 lb ground chuck or 1 lb veal
- 2 beaten eggs
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 3 -4 anchovy fillets, preferably salt-packed
- ample extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup freshly made breadcrumbs
- Pour a liberal amount of good olive oil in the bottom of the baking pan. Halve a dozen or so tomatoes and place them in the pan. Sprinkle them liberally with chopped garlic, fresh basil, and thyme. Cook for about an hour at 325°F Chop this roughly and you have your sauce.
- Saute the garlic, finely chopped, in olive oil until translucent. Add the anchovies and let melt, then add the parsely and wilt; let cool. Mix the meat with the eggs. Add the cooked garlic, anchovies, parsley, salt and pepper, and bread crumbs. Form your meatballs, but not too large or they will crack. Brown in olive oil, then cook slowly. Mix in your roasted tomato sauce.".