Recipe by Bergy
This is a take off from my other Jicama salad #8898 just a few additions to make it more colorful and a little different. It is a "do ahead" salad". It is so handy for company dinners and also busy day dinners. Make sure that your Jicama is very white inside and has no discolored spots outside-they should be a lovely smooth beige color. If you cannot find baby cukes use an English cuke, but remove the seeds. If you wish arrange this salad over fresh lettuce leaves. You may add some shrimp or chicken and serve this as a lunch salad
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made as per the recipe, & about the only thing I changed was to use a generous, rounded measure of the lime zest! We really enjoy jicama & vidalia onions, so this was a special treat! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC recipe tag]
- 1 1⁄2 lbs jicama, peeled & cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup small cucumber, thin sliced, peel on
- 1⁄2 cup vidalia onions or 1⁄2 cup other sweet onion, thin sliced
- 1⁄3 cup yellow sweet pepper, 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄3 cup green sweet pepper, 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄3 cup sweet red pepper, 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lite olive oil or 3 tablespoons other vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl mix together the jicama, cuke, onion, peppers.
- Mix together the lime juice, zest, garlic & chili, gradually whisk in the oil, whisking continuously.
- Pour dressing over the salad, cover & refrigerate for at least 1 hour & up to 6 hours.
- To serve line salad bowl with lettuce, spoon in the jicama & serve.