Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My DH found this recipe in a hunting magazine and made some alterations to it before making it last week. It has a wonderful flavor and is versatile in that many kinds of meat can be used. We used beef.
- Slice the meat into 1/4 inch thick strips.
- Mix together soy sauce, water, liquid smoke, salt, brown sugar,Cajun seasoning and optional ingredients in a non-reactive bowl (non-metal).
- Place the meat into the marinade and refrigerate for 24-36 hours.
- Remove meat and pat dry.
- Discard the marinade.
- Heat oven to 145 degrees F (with the oven door left open about one inch; this is to allow for air circulation) and place meat on oven rack or a baking rack placed in the oven.
- Spread foil on lower rack to catch drippings.
- (Our oven will only heat as low as 170 degrees F and jerky was done in 5-5 1/2 hours.) At 145 degrees F, jerky will be done in 6-8 hours.