Recipe by zippyriver
TIPS: 1> The water must be rolling boil hot. Otherwise the gelatin will not dissolve quick enough. I use a Pyrex measuring cup and the microwave. 2> Unless you want "gummy yarn", the whipped topping must be completely thawed. I thaw it out in the fridge for a couple of days before making. (a half frozen center can spell disaster). 3> Be prepared to move fast. This stuff sets very quickly. (IE: have your mixer ready, spatula handy, dish ready) 4> This is actually diabetic friendly (although not sugar free). 5> You can mix different flavor gelatins and fruit for a wide variety of flavors.
- 2 (1/3 ounce) boxes sugar-free orange gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup (drained)
- 1 (16 ounce) container whipped topping (thawed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the mandarin oranges and place single layer in an 8 x 8 dish. (I prefer to use my 7 x 11.5 dish, but it's an odd size for recipes).
- Place whipped topping in a large mixing bowl and divot the center.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water (stir constantly about 15-20 seconds) and immediately pour into the whipped topping reservoir.
- Using a mixer, completely blend the gelatin and whipped topping. Quickly place the mixture in the dish and smooth the surface.
- Refrigerate about 30 minutes. Number of servings dependent on dish size. Can be inverted onto a plate once set, for aesthetics and garnishments.