Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
As it is this is a side dish, it can however have chicken or tofu added to it to make it a main. They soy glaze I refer to is one of my own recipes and can also be found here. If you cannot find dashi stock, use vegetable stock instead.
For the soy glaze
- 30 ml mirin
- 30 ml sake
- 40 ml soy sauce
For the rice
- 500 ml dashi stock
- 400 g sushi rice
- 1 carrot, in matchsticks
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 85 g bamboo shoots
- Place all the glaze ingredients into a saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer for 3 - 4 minutes until it becomes syrupy. remove from heat, leave to cool and store in a lidded jar until needed.
- Mix glaze and stock and set aside.
- Rinse rice in several changes of water and place in a large pan. Add everything else and cover.
- Bring to the boil and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes Turn off heat and leave to stand for another 10 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir well before serving.