Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A Hearty Dish for a Cold Day
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons water, cold
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped (leftover from roast chicken or freshly poached)
- 1 (425 g) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, diced
- 2 small red apples, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Bon Appetit seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- In large bowl combine flour, ginger, lemon zest and salt.
- With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of water over the mixture and toss with fork. The dough should be just barely moistened, enough to hold together when formed into a ball. Add more water if needed.
- Form the dough into a flat disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate while making the filling.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in flour and ginger until smooth.
- Reduce heat to low and gradually whisk in chicken soup.
- Stir in onions, carrots, apples, apricots, lemon juice and chicken. Let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Season with salt and pepper. Spoon filling into deep, 10-inch ceramic or glass pie dish.
- notes: I steamed the chicken with some Vege-spice sprinkled over and cook for 20minutes.
- I also sometimes use individual as my DD (8) loves to have her own pie.