Recipe by Maryland Jim
Found this from an OLD newspaper clipping. Have not made it yet but it sounds really good.
Top Review by Darkhunter
Very good pie! I used tropical fruit cocktail, and chopped it up a little before adding to the gelatin-ice cream mixture. I did not add the macaroons, as I forgot to get them when I went to the store, and didn't want to go out again. I don't think it lost anything without them! I also used a shortbread crust and baked it about 20 minutes! Would make this again in a shot. Thnx for posting, Maryland Jim. Made for ZWT5 for RRR.
- 1 (3 ounce) package orange gelatin
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 2 teaspoons rum flavoring
- 1 cup finely crumble macaroons
- 1 1⁄2 cups drained canned fruit cocktail
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve gelatin in hot water. Add orange rind, juice, salt and ice cream, stirring occasionally until the ice cream is completely melted.
- Stir in rum flavoring and macaroon crumbs.
- Chill a few minutes, until slightly thickened. Fold in the well-drained fruit cocktail and turn into a baked cooled pie shell.
- Chill until firm, 2-3 hours.