Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Found this from an OLD newspaper clipping. Have not made it yet but it sounds really good.
- 1 (3 ounce) package orange gelatin
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 2 teaspoons rum flavoring
- 1 cup finely crumble macaroons
- 1 1⁄2 cups drained canned fruit cocktail
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
- Dissolve gelatin in hot water. Add orange rind, juice, salt and ice cream, stirring occasionally until the ice cream is completely melted.
- Stir in rum flavoring and macaroon crumbs.
- Chill a few minutes, until slightly thickened. Fold in the well-drained fruit cocktail and turn into a baked cooled pie shell.
- Chill until firm, 2-3 hours.
Very good pie! I used tropical fruit cocktail, and chopped it up a little before adding to the gelatin-ice cream mixture. I did not add the macaroons, as I forgot to get them when I went to the store, and didn't want to go out again. I don't think it lost anything without them! I also used a shortbread crust and baked it about 20 minutes! Would make this again in a shot. Thnx for posting, Maryland Jim. Made for ZWT5 for RRR.
I made this today for the guys. It was a hit with everyone. I used a graham cracker crust and the 3 of them nearly demolished it all. They all reported loving the taste but for some reason they felt that they would have preferred it without the macaroons. One said they were "soggy" but they didn't look so to me and another just didn't care for the texture in the otherwise smooth pie. The third just kept eating and said that he'd have what the others didn't what, lol. It was easy to make and looked quite pretty coming out of the fridge for dessert with some whipped cream around the edges.