Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a yummy little treat for the kiddies. When I'm low on money and the kids want a dessert I whip up this wonderful southern treat.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4-1 cup milk
- 2 cups jam or 2 cups preserves, any flavor
- 3 cups water
- For dumplings: Stir all dry ingredients together; cut in shorting until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually stir in enough milk to make dough soft.
- For syrup: Make syrup of the jam by adding jam and water in a large pot. When syrup in melted down and comes to a boil, reduce heat and drop biscuit dough on top by the teaspoonful.
- Cover at once; simmer for 12 minutes. Remove dumplings and arrange in a deep serving dish. Pour remaining syrup around dumplings and serve hot.
So good. I added frozen mixed berries to this. Very filling.Thanks for a really good recipe.
I made these recently when my husband and I were craving something sweet and I had nothing in the pantry. I used biscuit mix to make the dumplings and strawberry jam. These actually turned out much richer than I thought they'd be. I wasn't sure how long to let the syrup mixture boil so I added the dumplings pretty much as soon as it boiled. Next time, I may let it cook a little longer so the syrup gets a little thicker. Thanks for a great idea!