Prep 2 hrs
Cook 8 mins
These are a typical prairie recipe although in some areas they are called Jelly Doughnuts.
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (110F)
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons jam
- 1 egg white, beaten
- oil (for deep frying)
- In a bowl disolve yeast in warm water.
- Add milk ,soft butter,1/3 cup sugar,egg yolks and salt.
- Mix well.
- Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- DO NOT KNEAD.
- Place in a greased bowl turning once to grease top.
- Place in a warm draft free place til double,about 90 minutes.
- Punch dough down
- Knead about 10 times.
- Divide in half.
- Roll to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with floured 2 1/2 inch round cutter.
- Place 1/2 tsp jam in center
- Brush edges with egg whites.
- Cover and seal tightly.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Fry at 375F for 1-2 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels
- Roll in remaining sugar while still warm.