Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A cross between flan and creme brulee, this is a rich dessert originating in Jalisco, Mexico. Posted from an online source in response to a recipe request. Refrigeration time not included in preparation time.
- Bring milk and cinnamon sticks to a boil in a saucepan, stirring constantly so as not to scorch.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, add vanilla.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Stir in sugar, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Meanwhile, beat egg yolks and add to cooled milk mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Divide mixture among 8 heat-resistant dessert dishes or ramekins.
- Bake in a water bath (bain marie) for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of custard comes out clean.
- Brown under broiler for 3 to 5 minutes or until tops are golden or use a Crème Brûlée torch.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Un-mold onto dessert plates.
- If you wish, you can garnish the plates with a raspberry sauce, a few fresh raspberries and a sprig of mint.
This turned out amazing! My husband is from Guadalajara Mexico and he would always talk about his mom's jericalla. I made flan alot but never tried jericalla. I bought some local organic raw cows milk and made this for him one night. It turned out perfect, and he said it was like his mama used to make. You can't give a greater gift to someone you love than to make something a loved one used to make. Thank you for posting this recipe.
I gotta say: First time making this: I love sweet, but this was a tad too sweet for me. Next time, I will modify the recipe to only 1.25 c. sugar. The other thing that was baffling, was that it took literally 2 hours in the oven at 350 degrees. It was not thickening up. But, the final call is what the family and I thought about how it tasted. DELICIOUS! Two thumbs up. 5 stars across the board. I will follow up with the recipe with less sugar next time. Thank you for sharing this.
Loved it. My sister loves jericalla and she hasn't been able to have any since we moved from California. She really loved it when i made it! I agree that it took a bit longer than stated but the result was worth the wait.