Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Indian Sweet with sugal syrup
- yellow food coloring or saffron
- 1 1⁄2 cups refined flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- ghee (Clarified Butter) or oil, to deep fry
- Mix refined flour and soda bi-carbonate.
- Add two cups of water and make a smooth batter.
- Make sure that there are no lumps.
- Leave it overnight to ferment.
- Mix it again, add a little water if required and make it into a pouring consistency.
- To prepare sugar syrup mix equal quantities of sugar and water.
- Add cardamom powder and cook for twenty minutes.
- Heat ghee in a jalebi tawi or a flat kadai or a frying pan.
- Pour batter into a jalebi cloth and then pour it into medium hot ghee giving it a jalebi shape.
- Start from outside to inside for better results.
- Deep fry till golden and crisp.
- Drain and soak in the sugar syrup for five minutes. Drain and serve hot.
- For the jalebi cloth, take a piece of thick cloth and make a three millimetre hole in the centre. Jalebi making takes some practice and patience. To start with, try making individual jalebis and when you have perfected that, try making them together in a row. To make crisp jalebis, add a little rice flour to maida.