1/1 Photo of Jalapeno, Sausage, Jack, and Egg Breakfast Braid
This is a delicious recipe that is easy to make. It was orginally in the January 2010 issue of Cooking Light, but I made a couple of changes, so the ratio of bread to filling would be a bit more even. I also use whatever cheese I have on hand, usually (whatever you'd put in an omelet). Even if your sausage is fully cooked, don't hesitate to brown it with the onions, because it brings out the flavor that much more. This is easy to make for breakfast or brunch. We sometimes have this as "breakfast for dinner" with roasted ranch potatoes, and we can have leftovers for breakfast the next morning!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (13 7/8 ounce) can refrigerated pizza dough
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 8 ounces chicken sausage, with jalapeno peppers (chopped)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2Unroll dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; pat into a 15 x 10–inch rectangle.
- 3Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sausage; cook until lightly browned. Stir in eggs; cook 1 1/2 minutes or until set. Remove from heat.
- 4Sprinkle Monterey Jack lengthwise down center of dough, leaving about a 2 1/2-inch border on each side. Spoon egg mixture evenly over cheese. Sprinkle cheddar over egg mixture; top with jalapeño peppers.
- 5Make 2-inch-long diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart on both sides of dough to within 1/2 inch of filling using a sharp knife or kitchen shears.
- 6Arrange strips over filling, alternating strips diagonally over filling. Press ends under to seal (Mummy Loaf has a great picture on how to do this). Spray with cooking spray.
- 7Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut crosswise into slices to serve.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jalapeno, Sausage, Jack, and Egg Breakfast Braid
Serving Size: 1 (36 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 78.2
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 74.8 mg
- Sodium 194.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: