Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this from the Daily News. It's a great twist on traditional latkes.
- 3 large idaho potatoes, peeled
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus additional for serving
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano, Mexican preferably
- 1⁄2 cup matzo meal
- 1⁄4 cup frying oil
- Grate potatoes with a box grater or food processor.
- Mix with the yolk, salt, jalapeño, oregano and matzo meal. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan to 350 degrees.
- Add a tablespoon of potato mixture at a time and fry until golden brown. Do not crowd the pan.
- Drain latkes on paper towels; arrange on a platter.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve warm.
I used the general idea of this recipe but made it a bit more healthy. I decided to broil each latkes on each side after I sprayed them with cooking spray and a cookie sheet with cooking spray. They were not as crisp as they would be if I fried them, but they tasted just as good. The jalapeno really gives these a kick! Also I ended up not using as much matzo meal in his recipe.