Arkansas Green Beans
photo by lazyme
- Ready In:
- 5 (15 ounce) cans green beans
- 12 slices bacon
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 7 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the drained green beans in a 9×13″ baking pan.
- Cook bacon in a frying pan on your stove top or in a microwave on a microwave-safe plate until bacon strips are cooked enough to chop into large pieces (they should be done, but not real crispy). Sprinkle the bacon pieces on top of the green beans.
- Combine the brown sugar, melted butter, soy sauce, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Pour this mixture over the green beans and bacon. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made these for a church potluck over the weekend and they were a big hit. I did add a little balsamic vinegar to the brown sugar/soy sauce mixture because I thought it needed a little acidity but otherwise made as directed.<br/>(not sure why these were called Arkansas green beans but they were good nonetheless :)<br/>I'm from Arkansas!
A huge hit at our Thanksgiving Dinner last night. Like other I cut the sugar in half and doubled the sauce because I used 8 cans of green beans. I baked them at 350 for 30 minutes and they turned out so good. You wanted to lick the sauce right out of the pan. I was hesitant to add the soy sauce but did and am glad I did. Just a perfect blend of flavors to liven plain old green beans. Thanks so much for sharing.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My husband and I love trying new recipes! Neither of us were formally taught to cook so we're teaching ourselves. We've had a few "mistakes", but luckily my husband will eat ANYTHING. No, really, I mean anything. So nothing has been a complete loss. We have a son, born April '08 and he's eating solids like a champ! I love making his food for him. It's easy and cheap, besides who knows what they put in those little jars they sell at the store?! I can't wait to see what kind of things he likes once he gets some teeth!