Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
These beans are wonderful with freshly baked cornbread slathered with butter. They can be prepared well in advance and freeze well. I like to serve them with a blob of sour cream sprinkled with chopped cilantro.Prep time does not include the overnight soaking of the beans.
- 1 lb dry pinto beans, washed and picked over
- 1 lb fully cooked ham steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, rind removed,scored
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or more)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced seeded if you want to cut the heat (or more)
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Soak beans in a large pot over night in water to cover by at least 3 inches.
- Drain and return to same pot.
- Add water to cover by 2 inches and the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until beans are tender, about 3 hours.
- Discard salt pork and season.
Wonderful- I used left over ham from Christmas. I did not use salt pork.