3 hrs 10 mins
These beans are wonderful with freshly baked cornbread slathered with butter. They can be prepared well in advance and freeze well. I like to serve them with a blob of sour cream sprinkled with chopped cilantro.Prep time does not include the overnight soaking of the beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dry pinto beans, washed and picked over
- 1 lb fully cooked ham steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 lb salt pork, rind removed,scored
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or more)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced seeded if you want to cut the heat (or more)
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1Soak beans in a large pot over night in water to cover by at least 3 inches.
- 2Drain and return to same pot.
- 3Add water to cover by 2 inches and the rest of the ingredients.
- 4Bring to a boil and simmer until beans are tender, about 3 hours.
- 5Discard salt pork and season.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jalapeno Cowboy Beans
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.2
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 50.2 mg
- Sodium 1460.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 20.9 g