Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
This recipe started out as Kelly Canfield's Jalapeno Bread and through evolution a couple of trys, with a few changed ingredients ended up as burger buns. If you love a good burger with a bun that compliments it try these. If you like smaller burgers just make more buns out of this same recipe,
- 3 loaves frozen bread (3 lb) or 3 lbs fresh bread dough
- 2 tablespoons dry onion flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 5 fresh jalapeno peppers, finely chopped or 1 (3 1/2 ounce) jar jalapenos, chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, chopped
- 20 black olives, pitted and minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Allow the frozen dough to rise overnight in the fridge (if using fresh let it rise to double it's size).
- Knead in your mixer for 5 minutes (by hand 10 minutes).
- Add all the ingredients to the dough and knead for a further 10 minutes.
- Cut into 14 equal pieces (more if you want smaller buns).
- The dough is a bit moist from all the ingredients in it so you may want to use a little flour on your hands to form the buns- do not use too much flour or the buns will not rise as easily Place buns on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with veggie oil.
- For best results bake the buns on a baking stone, covered with a piece of parchment and lightly sprayed with veggie oil Cover and place in a warm spot until the buns have doubled in size (I place them in the oven with the oven light on this gives a lovely warm, even heated, no breeze place where they can rise undisturbed).
- This step may take 1-2 hours dependinbg on your dough.
- Bake in 350F oven for apprx 20-25 minutes.
- Place on a rack to cool.
- They freeze well.
Bergy I only used 1 loaf as I wanted to just "try" these for my BF. He loves japapenos and I thought he'd like them, was I ever right! Going to make the whole batch tonite, as he requested his bologna sandwich on the last one this morning! TY for a super quick and great recipe!
I made this with the frozen dough and also with breadmachine dough, both were great.
Awesome recipe!! I made 1 loaf of bread dough and used 2 t onion flakes along with 1 clove garlic, 1 large jalapeno and about 3/4 cup cheese. I didn't add in the pimentos or olives due to personal taste. It made 6 large buns out of it. Made it for the Devious Diners Devilishly Delicious Southwest Burger. Many oohs and ahhs around the table tonight! Thanks, Bergy!!