Recipe by Judy from Hawaii
This recipe, posted in response to a request, is from an elderly friend from church. She makes this every year to raise funds for missions work. Jaboticaba jelly tastes, to me, like a tart raspberry jelly with no seeds. I have never made this, or any other jelly, but if anyone has questions about it, I can always ask Florence.
- 3 -4 lbs jaboticabas, to make 3 to 4 cups of juice
- 3 -4 cups sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- To make juice, cover fruit with water and boil till soft.
- Use a colander to strain juice, then use a potato masher to smash fruit and put it through the sieve as well.
- Place equal amounts of sugar and juice into a pot and boil it"till it scoots across a spoon" or a candy thermometer registers 220°F
- Place into sterilized hot jars and seal.
- NOTE: Amounts and time are guesses; I was not able to pin Florence down on this very well (and I quote), "Every time it is different".