Recipe by Lani D
The Famous cupcakes from Grey's Anatomy. Izzie had trouble remembering the secret ingredient to her mother's cupcake recipe -- in fact, she needed a psychic to help her remember, if you recall. But now that she remembers what it is (coconut extract!), you should have trouble making the cupcakes yourself.
Top Review by Luby Luby Luby
These are very chocolatey and very moist. I didn't use icing on them as I wanted to use them more as a muffin. If you are a chocolate lover try these-the chocolate is very intense. I followed the instructions except I didn't cut the chocolate into 1 ounce pieces-there's just so much of it to do that. I just put it in the double boiler, put the lid on and when it started getting hot I stirred frequently until it was melted.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken into 1/2-ounce pieces
- 4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 20 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into 1/2-ounce pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to Preheat at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After warming 2 inches of water over medium in the bottom portion of a double boiler, put the 20 ounces of semisweet chocolate, 4 ounces of unsweetened chocolate, and 2 cups of heavy cream into the top portion. Cover with plastic wrap and let it warm for 8 minutes. Then, remove the boiler from the heat and mix until smooth.
- Put the coconut extract, eggs, and granulated sugar into a mixing bowl and stir (or electrically beat) with medium power for about four minutes. Then, add the ingredients from the boiler and stir for 20 more seconds at medium power as well. Next, put the baking soda, chocolate chips, and cake flour to the mixture and stir on lower power for 10 seconds. Slowly, stir to medium power for another 10 seconds. Afterwards, stir additionally to make sure all the ingredients seem thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into 36 cupcake baking cups. Allow some room beneath the rim for the cupcakes to rise. Place the cupcakes into the oven and bake for approximately 25 minutes (Test by placing a toothpick into the center of the cupcake; if it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done). Let the cupcakes cool before eating. And enjoy!