Recipe by Member #610488
Quick, easy and light....all the hallmarks of a great side dish or simple lunch.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 Japanese eggplants, cut in half lengthwise flesh scored 1/4 inch deep
- 1⁄3 cup yellow miso or 1⁄3 cup red miso
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons sake or 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler with a rack 4 inches from heat source.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof frying pan over high heat. Add eggplant, flesh side down, and cook until flesh starts to brown and soften (4 minutes).
- In a small bowl, combine miso, sugar, sake and chili flakes. Turn eggplant flesh side up and brush mixture over it.
- Broil eggplant in pan until glaze starts to brown (3 minutes). Sprinkle with cilantro and sesame seeds.