Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a wonderful first couse for an Italian dinner and versatile enough to partner with just a salad
- 6 large yellow bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- fresh, grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 500F degrees.
- Lightly oil a baking pan.
- Halve and seed the peppers and place them cut side down on the baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the skins begin to wrinkle and the peppers become a deeper golden color.
- While the peppers roast, warm the olive oil in a soup pot and saute the onions, carrots, and celery for about 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not browned.
- Add the water, potatoes, salt and bay leaves, cover and bring to a boil; then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender When the peppers are roasted, place them in a covered bowl.
- When cool enough to handle, slip off their skins and add the peppers to the soup pot.
- When the potatoes are tender, remove the bay leaves.
- In batches puree the soup in a blender until smooth and thick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat gently, if needed.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese.
- Also goes well with toasted bread with Parsley Pesto.
This was good, but I felt it was missing something. I felt it needed a spice of some kind, I'm just not sure what? Perhaps a little dried red pepper flakes? I will try this again and experiment with some extra spices.