Just made this for lunch on my third day of the south beach diet. It is really wonderful--of course, I did triple the garlic and add more red pepper flakes, but this does not taste like diet food! Enjoy! Use vegetable broth to make this vegetarian/vegan.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs swiss chard (I used kale) or 1 1⁄2 lbs escarole (I used kale) or 1 1⁄2 lbs beet leaves, trimmed (I used kale)
- 6 cups chicken broth (I used half of each) or 6 cups vegetable broth (I used half of each)
- 1 -5 garlic clove (I'm sure I used at least 5!)
- 1 cup cooked white beans (I used northern beans, cannellini or other white beans would work too) or 1 cup canned white beans (I used northern beans, cannellini or other white beans would work too)
- kosher salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (to finish)
- red pepper flakes (for garnish)
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- Boil greens for about 5 minutes, just till tender, and then plunge into water to stop cooking.
- Squeeze out as much water as possible and set aside (you can do this step before you make the rest of the soup.).
- Bring broth to simmer in large pot over med-high heat.
- Add garlic and greens, and beans (if using canned, rinse and drain to rid the excess sodium!) Simmer gently for about ten minutes, partially covered.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Pass cheese and pepper flakes at table.
I have made this before, and it is just wonderful (and very SBD friendly. I use a big bag of "Chard of Many Colors" from Trader Joe's, with canellini beans. If I want the soup as a meal by itself, I'll throw in some turkey sausage, but it's a wonderful soup either way. Thanks for posting this!
Wow! This has got a TON of flavor for such a healthy soup. I did double the beans as we were having it with a salad so I wanted a bit more substance. Also, I boiled the garlic with the broth, which I think opened the flavor a bit. This soup keeps wonderfully for leftovers (I used Kale) and makes a great take-to-work snack. Thanks!