Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I was searching for Italian Ice and I came across this... Taste great - just make sure you keep stirring it while it is freezing. Check for other flavors I’ve posted.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 grated orange, rind of (no white part)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Boil water and sugar together for 5 minutes.
- Stir in juice and peel.
- Pour into shallow bowl and put in freezer.
- As it starts to freeze, keep stirring the outside crystals into the center and mix in peel.
- Do about every half hour -MUST DO!.
- When real slushy, stop and freeze overnight.
- To serve, you must scrape very thin layers of the slush off the top.
- I use a big spoon with sharp edges moving it sideways.
Oh so good. I followed directions on another Italian Ice recipe. after step 3 I placed in bowl in ice water for 15 minutes then transferred to shallow baking dish on a cookie sheet and froze for 1 1/2 hours I checked at 30 then 60 minutes but no ice crystals. after 1 1/2 hrs stirred. froze again for 1 hour then stirred, then 1/2 hour longer stirred and put in container to freeze. Did not have fresh juice so had to use concentrated. So instead of peel I used a few drops of orange extract. I had made too many ices previously with my fresh. I am sure fresh would taste better but as is it is yummy. Be warned you should have lots of extra ingredients as I ate almost the whole thing in 1 day. It is that good.
YUM!! I followed directions to a "t" except for doubling the batch and using my zester and then chopping the little strips. Next time I will definitely use the finest side of my grater to really make the rind small. My hubby enjoyed it too, but would like it less sweet next time. I'm sure we'll have all sorts of fun with this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing!
All the doubts I had were gone when my youngest DS had 3 servings. I tried Italian Ice just once, many years ago and wasn't too terribly impressed with the overall flavor. This was terrific. I used a grapefruit spoon to scrape this with and this worked great Served this with recipe#50385 and recipe#21547