Prep 25 mins
Cook 18 hrs
From my Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes! by Phyllis Pellman Good, attributed to Sherril Bieberly of Salina, KY.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup packed chopped fresh parsley
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 inches sprig fresh rosemary or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 small fresh sage leaves or 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dried sage
- 32 ounces tomato sauce
- 32 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1 small dried hot red chili pepper
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced or 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs ground beef, browned (optional)
- Heat oil in skillet. Add parsley, celery, onion, garlic, rosemary, and sage. Saute until vegetables are tender. Place in slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, chili pepper, mushrooms and salt,.
- Cover. Cook on LOW 12-18 hours, or on HIGH 5-6 hours.
- VARIATION: Add 2 pounds browned ground beef to olive oil and sautéed vegetables. Continue with recipe.