Recipe by MarieR
Very light and spongey, elegant dessert. Easy to make. Can also be served plain, sprinkled with powdered sugar Bake in 10"diameter by 4"H tube pan with removable tube.
- 12 large room temp egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 12 large room temp egg whites
- 3 pints heavy whipping cream
- 6 -8 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 3 (16 ounce) containerssliced frozen sweetened strawberries (thawed)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add sugar and continue beating until thoroughly mixed. Add flavor.
- Mix flour and baking powder together. Fold into egg yolk mixture.
- In separate large bowl,beat whites until they hold their peaks. Gently fold into egg/flour mixture.
- Pour into UNGREASED tube pan and bake 350* for 40 - 50 minutes. Cake will raise above top of pan and be golden brown.
- Insert neck of heavy long necked bottle into neck of tube and invert cake over bottle to hang upside down until cooled.
- Slice into 3 layers
- Add sugar and vanilla to whipping cream and whip till stiff (Do not overbeat) Spread between layers, top and around sides of cake. Decorate top with fresh berries.
- Use SERRATED knife in 'sawing' motion to slice, and pour thawed strawberries over individual slice.