Prep 8 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 1 lb bulk sausage, mild or hot
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 rolls, kaiser,split and toasted
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Cook sausage with onion and bell pepper in a large skillet until no longer pink, stirring often; drain.
- Add spaghetti sauce and basil; simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Fill each roll with sausage mixture and a slice of cheese.
We all liked this. I didn't have any green pepper, but it was still good. We used real mozzarella instead of shredded on the sandwiches.
This was so good! I used a combination of hot and sweet sausage. I liked this because sometimes sloppy joe sauce tends to be on the sweet side, and this had a more robust flavor. Loved how the sliced mozzarella melted into the sauce! A word of caution...these are kind of messy to eat, but I guess that's the reason for them being called "Sloppy!"