Recipe by Lainey6605
This is a recipe from Paula Deen. It is one of her family's favorite soups.
Top Review by Curtie
We love this soup -- I use this recipe as a base and add tons of fresh chopped basil, lots of garlic, chopped spinach, and fennel seeds to this recipe. I also add fresh chopped eggplant if in season. Serve with a warm crusty bread and grated parmesan on top. Oh Mama Mia -- it's good.
- 1 (16 ounce) package sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 1 cup carrot, minced
- 3 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, drained
- 2 cups ditalini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion, celery and carrot over medium-high heat until sausage is browned and crumbles.
- Drain well.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes and beans; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add pasta; simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: Soup can be frozen for up to 1 month.
- Thaw in refrigerator before reheating.